Sunday, May 18, 2014

Crazy for Clay

Just another in the continuing series of updates from Starry Road Studio.... Needless to say, I have been knee deep in clay, relishing with joy the ability to work in this medium again after a so long a time away while transitioning from KY to NY over the past year. Yes, that's right, it has been nearly a YEAR since I packed up and left KY to return to NY. Most of my studio has been packed up in storage and only in recent weeks have I begun the slow process of getting everything set up here. I was dying to get my pottery wheel set up and thankfully I managed to throw a few pots this past week. I still have to get my spray booth set up for glazing, but for now I'll use some dipping glazes for these pots.

I am continuing to explore beads, creating a variety of new forms and ideas.


Continuing in my series of woodland-themed beads, I finally got started on a new design for "Camping Beads", based on sketches from late last summer. I blogged about it here.




I am having a blast playing with various textures. I am especially LOVING wood. This started with some woodland themed pieces (logs, trees, etc.). I am carrying it over into my line of ancient amulets and beads. I wanted to convey the sense of the ancient along with the wood texture, so I created a texture I am calling "Petrified Wood" (as seen in the dark brown pieces below). I love the mossy old stone (in the lighter, greenish pieces), and ancient wood look of these...

I plan to explore these textures in pottery. I can't wait! Here's an idea with a sort of plant form growing out of a "tree" base. I will throw this in porcelain and sculpt it after. I'll post pictures when I get around to it. And perhaps it will inform new designs for beads too. Stay tuned!

8 comments :

  1. so happy for you that you are back to doing what you love. we sometimes forget how much we love to do something until we are no longer able to (for whatever reason)
    A new studio is a wonderful reason. waiting to see what new things come about after your hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops forgot to tell you i LOVE the woodgrain on the new beads. and the canoe is too cute. all the camping beads are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these beads are really fabulous and thematic too - you have given a whole new meaning to the words "Bead camp". I was allergic to mud as a kid and my mom literally banned me from getting my hands in the mud that I soon grew an aversion to it, now I after seeing your work, I wish that it wasnt so and that I could make some clay beads too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with all your new designs and pieces, Karen! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been saving up! Can't wait to see the finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you getting back into action. The bird on the stump is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love what you make. The camping series is darling :-)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.